In today’s edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series we’re going to sit down with Chayka Nizhny Novgorod goaltender Yegor Gromovik. In this interview to Junior Hockey League media relations department he shared a lot of interesting personal details, including his hobbies and denial of goaltending superstitions.
- My mom decides on my diet. I try to have a full breakfast so I would have strength at practice. I try to cook myself when I get a chance. My favorite meal is pasta carbonara. I really like Italian cuisine. I also enjoy Georgian, German and Russian cuisines.
- I have a pet. It’s a dog named Fiona. Sometimes we call it Fenya and we love her very much.
- I prefer to spend days off at home, do nothing and recover from games. I love watching TV shows and play PUBG on my phone.
- I dream of visiting Italy, Germany and USA. But I really want to go to China. I like the country for its culture and history. I would like to stroll down Beijing and Shanghai. It would be interesting to see how people live there because I have heard a lot about them.
- My friends and I often go to the quay. We have a great waterfront in Nizhny Novgorod where you can ride a bike or scooter. It’s very beautiful and the sunset is amazing to watch from there.
- My favorite movie is Django Unchained. I was excited by its plot. Quentin Tarantino is such a talented director and writer that it’s difficult to ignore his movies. They’re always of high quality and have great humor.
- I like listening to Guf. Recently I have added his album Dom, Kotory Postroil Alik to my playlist.
- I’m a calm person. I’m fun and kind and always treat people with understanding. I believe, laziness is one of my shortcomings (laughs). In my opinion, sometimes it gets in the way but I always approach games responsibly.
- Every game day is a celebration for me. I have never woken up not feeling like playing. I chose my profession and I like it very much. I’m always eager to go to the game.
- A real man must be responsible, live up to his words and actions and never be crest-fallen.
- From my parents I inherited honesty and kindness. I’m grateful to them for my upbringing.
- When I meet a new person, first thing I look at is how they talk and act. In my opinion, these are the main qualities.
- I’m not superstitious at all. I believe, it only gets in the way and prevent you from focusing on what’s important. I also wouldn’t call myself a gambling type of guy.
- My father is my role model when it comes to men’s fashion. It’s difficult to say why. I just like the way he looks. On our team – Chayka – no one is really after fashion.
- I don’t pay attention to clothing brands. In everyday life I prefer athletic wear. It just feels more comfortable. There are mostly pastel colors in my wardrobe, especially when it comes to shirts and t-shirts.
- Lacoste is my favorite perfume. I don’t grow beard.
- I’m single at the moment. I don’t have a girlfriend.
- My ideal wife is a modest, kind, caring and most importantly clever girl.
- Right now sports is my priority so I’m not looking for a serious relationship.
- One time I got into an awkward situation on a date. I went to the movies with a girl. The movie turned out to be rather boring and I fell asleep.
- If I’m going to have a son, perhaps, I’m going to coach him myself. As for my daughter, I’m going to sign her up for whatever she likes and wants to get into. I’m definitely not going to go against her decision.
- When I meet girls, they usually get surprised when find out that I’m a hockey player and start asking me questions about my team and hockey in general.
Career and education
- If it weren’t for hockey, I would have chosen to be a pilot. I believe that flying a plane is exciting and prestigious.
- I’m in my second year at an Olympic Reserve School. I do my best to do all of my homework and not miss online classes. Of course, I know all of my classmates.
- Without a good higher education, it’s difficult these days to find a prestigious job. That’s why I believe everyone should have a higher education diploma.