In today’s edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series we’re going to sit down with one of the top Loko Yaroslavl players and reigning Junior Hockey League’s Kharlamov Cup and Sirius Junior Club World Cup champion Alexander Daryin.
- Our team doctor decides on my diet. I live mostly at the baza and eat there. I love Russian cuisine. They say that hockey players need carbon so I like pasta-like dishes. My favorite meal is pasta carbonara.
- I don’t have pets. When I was 6 or 7 years old I had a pet. It was a bred cat. We gave it to my grandmother because I turned out to be allergic to it.
- I love calm vacations. I love to sleep in and be in no rush to get anywhere. I rarely watch TV. Recently, I’ve started practicing English more often when I have days off. I spent time with my friends at practices. I rarely have a chance to go out.
- I dream to see Canada and USA with my own eyes. I would like to go to a hockey game in these countries to see how the fans over there cheer for their favorite teams, what their arenas look like and how everything works in NHL. I would also like to go on vacation to Dubai, UAE.
- My favorite movies are Legend #17 and Moving Up. These two movies captivate you with action and motivate you. Besides, the acting is very good.
- I listen to everything from new tracks to oldies. I’m a music fiend and I’m responsible for music ambience in the dressing-room any team I’m on. I can set the mood with music. The latest track I have added to my playlist was Privychka by Skryptonit.
- I can’t describe myself, it’s difficult for me to point out any character traits. I have a good work ethic. Games are like Christmas to me. It’s the moment I work for all every day, week and month. That’s why I have never felt like not going to the game.
- A real man must stand by his words, actions and deeds. He must be responsible for his family and loved ones.
- I inherited my character traits from my parents. I’m often told I’m a spitting image of my father because I like to argue just like him and I’m just as stubborn as he is, I’m willing to go all the way. As for my mom, I inherited kindness and altruism from her. I’m always ready to help in times of need.
- When I meet a new person, first thing I look at is not how they’re dressed but how they talk and how pleasant it is to talk to them.
- I’m a gambler but only when it comes to hockey.
- I don’t have a role model when it comes to men’s attire. I don’t copy anyone. I buy everything I like. On Loko it’s our goaltender Vladislav Okoryak how is the most stylish.
- I don’t pay attention to clothing brands. Comfort and beauty matter the most. I have different colors in my wardrobe but mostly black and white. I prefer athletic wear in everyday life rather than classics.
- My favorite perfume is Paco Rabanne Invictus. I smelled it on my teammate once and he advised me on the matter.
- I have a girlfriend. Her name is Darya and she’s a former gymnast. She’s positive on the hockey. She cheers and worries for me. She comes to every game with my parents. It feels great that she respects what I do. We met at a friend’s birthday party.
- Serious relationship is an integral part of life. It can’t be an obstacle in athletic career. When they say that players lose their heads and start playing worse, it means there’s something wrong with their relationship. A real relationship makes you confident and become a great support. It makes you want to hit the ice and play even better to give result that would make other people proud of you.
- If I’m going to have a son, I’m going to sign him up for hockey school. I will do my best to relay all of my experience to him and give him the best advice. If I’m going to have a daughter, my wife and I will think about what to sign up her to but it’s definitely not going to be hockey.
Career and education
- If it weren’t for hockey, I would be a soccer player. I like the sport. When I was a kid I had to decide between hockey and soccer.
- I study at State Pedagogical Yaroslavl University. I rarely come to classes. I know some of my classmates but not all of them.
- Getting a higher education is very important. I don’t think you can achieve anything these days without one. If you want to be successful, you have to be well-qualified.