About the League
In today’s edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series we’re going to sit down with one of the top players on SKA-1946 St. Petersburg Artyom Zhuk. The forward shared what he does in his spare time, his pets, favorite music, parents and much more.
- I decide myself on my diet. I make sure I eat healthy. Sometimes I can eat a pizza but it’s a rare occasion. My favorite meal is crepes with condensed milk.
- I live by myself in St. Petersburg and I don’t have pets there. But I do have a dog back home in Minsk. We jokingly call it Kotopyos (Dogcat). It looks like a dog but acts as a cat.
- I prefer to switch it up when it comes to rest. Sometimes I want to have fun and sometimes I just want to go home after the games and fall asleep watching stand-up.
- I like travelling, discover new things, learning about architecture and seeing the sights. So I can’t single out one country I would like to visit.
- My friends and I like to stroll down beautiful St. Petersburg streets, go to the movies or spend an evening playing the board game Monopoly. We are yet to find the time to go to a museum.
- My favorite movies are Legend #17, Only Old Men Go Into Battle and all Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It’s a tougher choice with TV-series. The only TV-series I watched till the end was Game of Thrones.
- I like actor Johnny Depp. I was really impressed with the way he played Jack Sparrow.
- I can listen to anything. I can listen to Grogory Leps, Max Korzh and all Leningrad tracks. The latest track I have added to my playlist was Dancefloor by Audiosoulz.
- I’m goal-driven, kind and honest. I also have leader abilities. My biggest asset is that I can battle till the end and never give up regardless of anything. As for my shortcomings – I get really sad after losses. I can also be open with people who don’t deserve it.
- Motivation before the games? Crepes for breakfast. That’s what I wake up for! (laughs) Seriously, though, I never feel like not going to the game. I’m always ready to play.
- A real man must provide for his family, be a leader, resolve all problems, be kind, honest and just. Perhaps, sometimes he has to be tough.
- From my parents I inherited attentiveness, honesty and the ability to stand up for myself.
- When I meet new people, I pay attention to the way they look, how they dressed and how they talk.
- I’m superstitious and I follow certain things. Once when I was still in junior hockey school I saw a black cat in my way. I had to go around the building.
- I’m a maximalist. I love winning. That is why I guess you can say that I am a gambler to a certain extent but I will never gamble for money or anything like that.
- I don’t have a role model when it comes to men’s attire. I don’t pay attention to that.
- Sometimes I pay attention to clothing brands and choose what I buy accordingly. There are a lot of black and deep blue clothes in my wardrobe. I like athletic wear because it’s comfortable and I feel free wearing it. In everyday life I prefer athletic wear mixed with classics.
- Paco Rabanne and Hugo Boss are my favorite perfumes. My sister gives me perfumes as presents and so far she has been keen with scents.
- I don’t know how much girls love bearded guys. I’m growing a mane.
- I have a girlfriend and she loves hockey. She works in fashion. She also goes to school to become a designer one day. She used to be a rhythmic gymnast.
- I don’t think that relationship is not an obstacle in athletic career but there are nuances. If the person you are with has a pessimistic outlook on life, then why would you be with that person? Although, if you have someone supportive by your side, then it is always great.
- I had an awkward situation once. I wanted to cook a fish and I set a timer in the oven. Perhaps, I didn’t quite figure it out. The oven turned off only four hours later. I had to give the ruined fish to the dog.
- If I’m going to have a son, I’m not going to force him to sign up for hockey school. I will do everything just the way my father did.
Career and education
- It’s tough for me to say what would I do if it weren’t for hockey. To be honest, I don’t like being asked that question.
- Higher education is an important thing in our time. Getting one is a must.
I was at a pre-season camp with the team. On the night when I turned 18 years old my neighbor smashed a cake against my face. We started doing that often after that. When I turned 19, my friends plunged my face in the cake twice at Nevsky avenue. It took me about 20 minutes to get it off.
Not a lot of people know that when I’m at home and there’s no one else around, I sing my favorite songs in the shower.