About the League
In today’s edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series we’re going to talk to menacing Avto Yekaterinburg defenseman Maxim Dubovik. He spent most of the jubilee Junior Hockey League season in VHL but he still played a few times for the team he had once captained.
- There’s nothing special about my diet. During the season I eat with the team. On vacation I love to eat what my mom cooks. I like Georgian and Italian cuisines so I have a lot of favorite meals.
- I prefer relaxing vacations at seaside where I can rest, think about life and distract from hockey. I dream of visiting Spain, Germany and fly across the ocean to USA.
- My friends and I usually go to the movies or play videogames. Sometimes we go to the woods for BBQ or sauna.
- I have a lot of favorite movies. I like horror movies and thrillers but sometimes I like to watch comedy ‘Love and Pigeons’. I must have seen the movie 20 times. As for recent movies, I enjoyed ‘Fight Club’, ‘Gone Girl’ and ‘Love lives three years’.
- I listen to all kinds of music – from Guf to Vysotsky. The latest track I have added to my playlist is Crimson Sunset by Max Korzh.
- It’s difficult for me to weigh in on my character traits. I can name my shortcomings – quick temper and tough dealing with losses. As for quick temper, one has to learn to keep it together with age.
- I’m a hard worker and I love what I do. I give hockey and practices everything I got. I have never felt like not going to the game.
- A real man must be the master of his word, defend his position and his loved ones.
- I don’t like it when people pretend to be someone who they’re not. That’s why whenever I meet a new person, first thing I look at is how they talk.
- I have several superstitions and a set routine before every game. But I don’t focus on it too much.
- I don’t consider myself a gambler. I have never even been to a casino.
- I don’t have a role model when it comes to men’s attire. I can use a few things I saw on celebrities. I follow closely these things.
- I have a versatile wardrobe – there is classics and athletic wear. Sometimes I wear famous brands but usually I just buy whatever I like. I wouldn’t say that I pay attention to clothing brands. I don’t have a favorite perfume.
- I don’t grow a beard yet. Perhaps, I will when it’s going to start growing but not right now.
- I’m single right now. I’m not in a serious relationship. My ideal girlfriend is not just about beauty, kindness and intelligence. She has to be caring and support me when I need it.
- I believe that a hockey player’s girlfriend always has to be by his side – sometimes even when it’s against what she likes. It’s very difficult because you have to move around a lot. You always have to be ready for that.
- I don’t think that a serious relationship can be an obstacle in athlete’s career. It’s great when there’s always somebody waiting for you at home.
Career and studies
- To be honest with you, I don’t know what would I do if it weren’t for hockey. I have never thought of that.
- I study in Chelyabinsk. I’m a night-shifter. I come to classes only on vacation – there’s no other way. Professors are very understanding and I’m grateful to them for that.
Not a lot of people know that I’m terrified of heights. That’s why I don’t like extreme sports and bungee-jumping. Flights are enough for me and I don’t enjoy them either.