In today’s edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series we’re going to talk to forward Vladimir Zhuravlyov. This edition is a little unusual as 21-year-old Zhuravlyov has already finished his Junior Hockey League career and he currently plays pro hockey for Lada Togliatti. That makes it ever more interesting to get to know JHL Challenge Cup participant a little better.
- My wife decides on what I eat. She either cooks something tasty herself or we go to a restaurant. There are a lot of good places to go in our town and some of them are really great. Pasta Bolognese is my favorite meal along with prawns in garlic and tomato sauce.
- I have several pets at home. A cat named Simba, a dog Timon and also another dog Bonifatsy, who lives in Saratov.
- I like to spend time with my family and friends. It’s also fun just to stay in the house and play Monopoly.
- I would like to travel overseas and visit the island of Madagaskar. My grandfather used to live there. I have to go there after everything he told me about the place!
- My favorite movies are ‘Time’, ‘Untouchables’ and ‘1+1’. As for TV-series I like ‘Policeman from Rublyovka’ and ‘Univer’. My favorite actors are Johnny Depp, Alexander Petrov and Lyubov Aksyonova.
- My favorite music genres are rap and rock. The latest tracks I’ve added to my playlist were ‘Ya podnimayu ruki’ by Grigory Leps, ‘Po Bukvam’ by Mot and ‘The show must go on’ by Queen.
- I’m not one to ask about my upsides and shortcomings but I can definitely say that I’m a kind and patient person with good work ethic. My downside is that I’m too gullible for my own good.
- I’m always glad to go to the games. I motivate myself with the fact that it’s something I do for a living and thus support my family.
- A real man must me faithful and caring. He should put his family and loved ones first.
- I inherited manners and kindness from my mother. As for my father, he gave me resilience, love for sports and bold spirit.
- Whenever I meet a new person, first thing I look at is how they’re dressed. But as the matter of fact you should look deeper into every person and get to know them better. Everybody is great in its own way.
- I try not to be superstitious.
- David Beckham and Connor McGregor are my role models when it comes to men’s attire.
- I don’t pay much attention to clothing brands. If I like something, I buy it. I really like some of the stuff Black Star produces.
- I have a lot of dark colors in my wardrobe – especially black and deep blue.
- Due to my line of work, I usually have athletic wear on but I also like classics.
- My godfather has a great perfume but I keep forgetting to buy it. He wears Chanel, while I wear Dior Savage.
- I always have a beard. Whenever I shave it off, people think I can’t be older than 14.
- My wife loves hockey. She’s been going to the game for a long time with her mother-in-law and her sister.
- I believe that serious relationship is a necessity. It can’t be an obstacle in your career.
- I would like my son to get either into hockey or tennis but my wife said that he’s definitely going to be a hockey player. However, I’m leaning towards tennis. We’ll see. If I’m going to have a daughter, I would sign her up either for tennis or gymnastics.
- When I tell people what I do for a living, they usually look at my legs. Hockey players tend to have wheel-like legs.
Career and studies
- If it weren’t for hockey, I would play tennis – I love the sport. Or I would have followed my dad’s footsteps and become a boxer.
- I study at SGAU in Saratov. I rarely go to classes but, of course, I know my classmates. You won’t go far without them!
- Higher education is a very important thing in today’s world. Anything can happen in athlete’s life so you have to have a Plan B.
Not a lot of people know that Ladiya’s Semyon Zhuravlyov is not my brother or relative. He just has the same last name and we’re good friends. People in Togliatti don’t know that I used to called Zhora. That’s how they called my dad in Saratov. And they called my older brother Zhora Sr. Actually, he also used to play hockey and now he’s a referee in JHL. That’s why people used to call me Zhora Jr.