About the League
8th annual Junior Club World Cup will take place in Sochi, Russia this August. For the first time at the tournament Sweden will be represented by HV71 major junior team. Peter Ekelund, general manager of the club, was kind enough to answer a few questions from Junior Hockey League media relations department.
- Mr. Ekelund, what your expectations for HV71 at the upcoming Junior Club World Cup?
- We eagerly wait the start of the Junior Club World Cup and excited about the opportunity to play in Sochi. We expect difficult games against our opponents, who play at a high international level. Hopefully, we can face teams that play a different brand of hockey than ours. It would be a great experience.
- What would you say is the signature style of your team?
- Our team is good tactics-wise and individual level of our players is also very high. Besides, they are always ready to learn something new and improve their game. Three characteristics of our team? Intensive work, discipline and individual skill.
- What can you say about other teams that will compete at the Junior Club World Cup?
- We’re going to see very interesting teams in Sochi this year. I know that all of our opponents have strong hockey schools and it’s going to be a great experience for our players to play against them. We also know that the level of hockey at Junior Club World Cup is always high and that future stars have played at the tournament.
- What are your expectations of Sochi?
- The Olympics were recently hosted there. It’s going to be interesting to visit the city and its Olympic venues. The climate is very warm there so we expect good weather and warmth.
- Who is going to be the favorite of the tournament?
- Russian and Canadian teams are always considered as main contenders for any trophy. So I’m going to say that Loko and Ottawa Capitals are main favorites and we are right behind them.