In this newest edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series we’re going to talk to the top defenseman of last season Mamonty Yugry Khanty-Mansiysk’s Timraly Vakhrutdinov. ‘Iron Man’ talks about his spare time, character traits, studies and much more.
- I’m not from Khanty-Mansiysk. I was born in the town of Noyabrsk. During the season I stay at the baza and I eat at the canteen. As it gets closer to the end of the season, I move to the residence neat college, as I continue my studies. I try to eat right but sometimes I can have a midnight snack.
- I have a cat. His name is Barsik. I really love pets.
- As for rest, sleeping is my priority. A good night’s sleep is especially important for athletes because it helps you recover. Aside from sleeping, I enjoy going for a walk and movies because from time to time you just have to take a break from hockey. I dream to visit such countries as France, Great Britain and Switzerland. I really want to go sightseeing there.
- I rarely get to meet my childhood friends. I seldom get to visit my hometown since 2011. On my days off I usually go for a walk with my teammates.
- I like several movie franchises – Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Fast and Furious. As for TV series, I enjoy Gym Teacher, Rich Hothead and Rublyovka Policeman. Jason Statham is my favorite actor.
- The latest track I added to my playlist is ‘Three-pointer’ by L’One. I listen to all kinds of music, I’m not stuck on just one genre.
- I’m stubborn, goal-driven, kind and hard-working person. My biggest asset is that I do my best to achieve my goal. I always help my loved ones in tough situations, because I’m a responsible and caring person.
- I always get in game-mode on the eve of the game. I don’t need to be motivated. I believe you can’t just go through the motions on the ice. You always need to want to be in the game.
- A man must be a reliable on everything for his loved ones. He must be responsible, true to his word and put his work where his mouth is.
- The most important character traits that I inherited from my parents are patience and work ethic. Everything they have done for me and continue doing is priceless from me.
- When I meet a new person, the first thing I look at is the way they talk, how they think and how open they are in conversation.
- I don’t believe in superstitions. I consider it a waste of time. You just have to work harder on improving yourself and not waste any time on trying to figure out how superstitions work.
- I don’t have a man I look up to when it comes to men’s attire. All people are different and everybody has his own style that fits him. I don’t think it’s right to try to be somebody else and look like him.
- I never pay attention to clothing brands. If I like something, I just buy it.
- In my wardrobe there are three prevailing colors – white, grey and black. In everyday life I wear comfortable clothes – t-shirts, jeans and sneakers.
- I prefer Paco Rabonee 1 Million perfume. I really like it. I don’t grow beard.
- The most important thing in relationship is that I like the girl and I’m comfortable with her. When you feel good with another person, it can’t be in the way of your sporting career. On the contrary, relationship is going to be a bonus.
- If I’m going to have a son, I will sign him up for any sport classes he likes. I’m not going to push him to get into hockey. As the matter of fact, I don’t think it’s right when parents push their kids to do anything they don’t like. If I’m going to have a daughter, I think it would be great for her to get into figure skating or gymnastics. But most importantly – it has to be fun for her.
Career and studies
- If it weren’t for hockey, I would have been an engineer.
- I study at YUKIOR sports college. I’m majoring in teacher-coach. I don’t have time to go to classes because of my practice schedule but I know my classmates. We see each other from time to time.
- Education is very important in today’s world. You need a high school diploma at the very least to get a job. But you really have to have a higher education.