About the League
Top defenseman of the 12th week of the regular season Yegor Bryutov shared his hockey story with Junior Hockey League media relations department. Tyumensky Legion defenseman spoke about his first steps in hockey and why it’s more difficult to play against Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk than any other Eastern Conference team.
- My parents brought me to a rink when I was 4 years old. I wanted to go to soccer school but since my father’s nephew is a hockey player he put me and my brother Nikita in hockey school. I have two brothers. My older brother Dmitry plays basketball. We have the same birthday with my brother Nikita. I was a very active kid so it was logical to put me into sport.
- Hockey is pretty popular in Tyumen, every year a lot of kids enroll to local hockey schools. Actually, in hockey school I first played on the same line with my brother. My first coach was Andrei Gennadiyevich Onopriyenko.
- When I was 10 years old, I was offered to join Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. I tried out, I really loved the city, I did well and so I stayed there.
- After the 2016-17 season I went to a 2-week camp with Tyumensky Legion. I did well there. That’s why I was given the opportunity to make Junior Hockey League debut at the age of 16. It was very emotional back then. I didn’t expect that I could play in that league at that age. I’m not going lie – I was proud of it because not everyone is trusted by their coaches at that age. My brother Nikita was happy for me. I’m eager to see him play in the JHL, too.
- I remember well the day I first came to the dressing-room. I knew a lot of guys back from the hockey school but it was still a little nervous. The team made me feel comfortable.
- At first I wanted to take #92. But they gave it away for VHL team so I had to take #49. Actually, I’m a pretty superstitious person. Jersey number is very important to me.
- My first Junior Hockey League game was against Avto. There were a lot of fans. I had never played in front such a huge crowd. That meant greater responsibility, too. Ivan Stepanov supported me and gave me game advice. It became a lot easier when our line scored the first goal.
- Pavel Ushakov is a great linemate for me. We have a good chemistry going on and we’ve become friends.
- For me Junior Hockey League is a step forward after graduating from junior hockey school. You have to think twice as fast in the league, level of physical battle is a lot different and you have to get used to it.
- I noticed the most serious opponent in the East right away. In my opinion, Stalnye Lisy is the most difficult team to play against. It’s a strong and determined team. It’s always tough to play against them.
- I’m still in high school, I’m in Grade 10. My favorite classes are algebra and physical education. I’m mostly a B-student. I often take tests home and submit them later.
- My main character traits are determination and self-confidence. They help me a lot in hockey.
- I spent my spare time with my family and close ones. One of the most beautiful places in Tyumen is our waterfront. You should see it with your own eyes.
- Apart from hockey, I really like basketball. I really fell in love with the game because of my older brother.
- My favorite player in hockey is Nikita Kucherov. He’s a young talent from Russia. It’s really fun to watch him play.
- The book that impressed me the most lately is ’50 days before my suicide’ by Kramer Stace. I loved the plot. I would recommend reading it, it’s very interesting.
- Hopefully, in the future I can be successful in hockey. I have a long way ahead of me. Right now I just want to live my life and enjoy my favorite game.