In the game against Ladiya Togliatti 18-year-old Alexander Derbenyov made sure his team got a win. In the second period of play he scored twice on a powerplay and then late in regulation he scored an empty-netter. Avto Yekaterinburg won the game 3-0.
This is Alexander Derbenyov’s second season in Molodyozhnaya Hokkeynaya Liga. Last season he played 43 games, scoring 3 goals and adding 3 assists to that for a total of 6 points. This season Derbenyov scored 7 goals and got 5 assists for 12 points in 8 games.
Derbenyov spoke to the media after the game:
- How does it feel to score your first career MHL hat-trick?
- It was really exciting. It’s not just my first career MHL hat-trick. It was the first hat-trick of my career.
- How did your teammates congratulate you?
- They brought me the puck I scored the game-winning goal with, told me I did a good job and asked me why didn’t I score four goals.
- Did coaching staff point out your hat-trick in any way?
- No, because it was a team effort. It just so happened that I scored all of the goals.
- Do you remember your first career MHL goal? Did you get to keep the puck?
- Yes, I remember. The puck is somewhere at my place. Roman Ivashov passed it to me. Just like he did today on all three of my goals.
- Do you have a set number for how many goals you want to score this season?
- I didn’t set any specific number but I try to score as many as I can.