About the League
In today’s edition of our continuing Saturday series Not A Word About Hockey we’re going to sit down with a Portugal native, one of last season’s best rookies and Tolpar Ufa defenseman Sergei Safin-Tregubov. He opened up about vegetarian phase of his life, Portuguese roots and how he scared his mother when he was a kid.
- I decide on my diet myself. Ever since I was little my parents taught me to eat healthy. I was even a vegetarian for some time. Eating is important in athlete’s life so I read a lot of books on the matter. The latest book I’ve read was Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark. I’m open to new ideas but whenever I’m in doubt I opt for juicy steak. I also enjoy Mediterranean cuisine, especially Portuguese – squids and fish.
- I can’t get a pet. I’m allergic to cats and I’m not too fond of dogs either because I was bitten by one as a kid.
- I prefer relaxed days off. I sleep a lot, especially when the games just keep coming and coming. When the schedule is tight I try to stay the whole day at home, playing videogames. But if the weather permits, I go out for a walk.
- It’s always pleasant to go back to Portugal, where I was born. I still have a lot of friends there. I would also like to come back to Germany and see my relatives who live there. I’m grateful to my parents for taking me to every corner of Europe. Hopefully, in the future I will be able to put together a great vacation for them. As for countries I have never been to I would like to travel to the Maldives for its great nature and tasty food.
- My friends and I like to hang out in downtown Ufa and go for walks. Ufa is a big and beautiful city. Salavat Yulaev monument alone is to die for. And since our teammate Pavel Semyonov bought a car, we began hanging out in the countryside more often for barbecue.
- Rocky is my favorite movie. I love re-watching every part of it. Rocky Balboa inspires me with his relentlessness and will to win. As for TV series, I like Flash. I’m a fan of Marvel and DC. I like these comic universes and characters.
- Jim Carrey is my favorite actor. His talent and acting are just something else. His movies give me positive and fun emotions.
- I listen to foreign and Russian music. There are a lot of talented artists in Russia. It’s a shame that not many people know about them. The latest track I have added to my playlist was Duga by Mnogooznal.
- I look like my mom but my personality is more of my father’s. I’m a fun and kind guy. I love having fun. If a misunderstanding occurs, I calmly deal with it. Although, sometimes I can lose my temper.
- I have a great work ethic and I’m goal-driven. I have never felt like not getting out of bed for a game. I believe that hockey is my job and it has to be fun for me. Otherwise, there’s no reason to step on the ice.
- A real man must be calm, have a good judgment and confident.
- I’m talkative but not pushy. If I’m on the same page with someone, it’s easy for us to find common ground. I do my best to limit my exposure to negative people. When you meet a person, what’s important is the way you construct a dialogue, not the status of the collocutor.
- I’m superstitious, even though my dad says it’s all ‘grandma’s nonsense’ (laughs)
- I’m a gambler only on the ice. I’m not looking for an ‘easy’ income or placing bets.
- I don’t have a role model when it comes to men’s fashion. I want to become fashionable and stylish myself (smiles). Everyone on Tolpar has a great taste.
- There are a lot of clothes in my wardrobe of vivid colors. I prefer athletic wear but I don’t shy away from classics.
- Coco Chanel is my favorite perfume.
- I try to keep my private life to myself. It just gets distracting when people talk about me on social media. Sometimes girls are eager to get acquainted with my only because I’m a hockey player.
- If you build a relationship with your loved one the right way, it’s not going to be an obstacle in your career. On the contrary, it will help you to get better. On a personal level as well as in career.
- If I’m going to have a son, I will most likely sign him up for boxing, and if it’s going to be a daughter, I would rather see her in basketball.
Career and education
- My parents are doctors so if it weren’t for hockey in my life, perhaps, I would have studied medicine.
- I study at Bashkortostan Institute of Physical Culture. I have an individual schedule and I study online.
- Athlete’s life can change on a dime. I think about what I’m going to do after hockey career is over so it’s important to get a higher education.
- This is a story from my childhood. One evening my parents went out and said they would come back late. I had to leave the door open and go to bed. But I fell fast asleep and when they got back I didn’t hear neither the phone nor the buzzer ringing. They even tried to get to me through our neighbors and even thought about calling Emergency Services but in the end spent the night at a hotel. I’m afraid even to think how scary this was for my mom (smiles).
Not a lot of people know that I like to play Playstation and other videogames on my phone. Sometimes it’s hard to stop and control the process. I really like playing NHL and Spiderman.