About the League
In today’s edition of our continuing Not A Word About Hockey series on Saturdays we’re going to sit down with the leader and top-scorer of HC Kapitan Stupino Grigory Ponkratov. The forward told Junior Hockey League media relations department about his pets, dislike of mushrooms, the exact opposite approach to fishing and how dangerous is carrying firecrackers on New Year’s.
- I decide myself on my diet. I like everything they cook at home, except for fish and mushrooms. While I can eat fish, because it’s good for you, it’s a much more difficult story with mushrooms – I can’t eat them in any way. I enjoy our national cuisine – borsch, syrniki and pelmeni.
- I have a pet at home. It’s a cat named Musya. She is of the best breed – stray. We found her in the basement of our building when she was about six weeks old. Soon it’s going to be 17 years that he lives with us. We also have a god Kuzya. It’s small and very loyal dog. He’s always ready to bite anyone who gets even a little close to my grandmother.
- Usually, I spend my days off at home watching movies or exciting games or playing videogames. Sometimes I meet with my friends. I enjoy going to the cottage. I go to sauna and fishing over there. Obviously, it depends on my mood and amount of time to spare.
- I’m interested in countries that can bring you unforgettable emotions. I would vry much like to visit Thailand for its exotic cuisine and gorgeous islands. I dream of visiting India to see its waterfalls, 1000-year-old buildings and sanctuaries. I would also like to visit Italy to try local pizza, pasta and enjoy the architecture – especially in Rome and Venice.
-My friends and I usually go to the movies and bowling, or stroll down Moscow if the weather permits. We often wander about Arbat street, Zaryadie Park or Gorky Park where we like to ride electric scooters.
- I really like the movie John Week. It’s has exciting plot. It’s almost as if you submerge into the hero’s difficult mental state. Supernatural is one of my favorite TV series.
- I like actors Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. Their duo in Supernatural was over the top. The guys are talented and charismatic.
- As for the music, I can listen to different genres, except for rock. Actually, it depends on my mood. The latest track I have added to my playlist was Polyot by Vu India.
- I’m a responsible and benevolent to others kind of person. I’m also reserved and too self-critical. That’s probably my biggest shortcoming. I often rummage around my own had and think about problems. Sometimes when I think about the future, my face gets this very serious expression and some people are even afraid of approaching me at times like that.
- I always want to play so it’s easy for me to get out of bed on gamedays. I never have any trouble with motivation. I’m always ready to go.
- For me, a real man is a goal-driven and confident person. He’s also kind, attentive, well-mannered, reliable and – most importantly – responsible for his words and actions.
- From my parents I inherited kindness, work ethic and love for work. I’m thankful to them for my upbringing. And for my beauty as well, of course (smiles)
- When I meet a new person, first thing I look at is their manners and the way they talk. I pay attention to their looks as well but, as it’s known, it can be deceiving.
- I’m not superstitious and I don’t have any rituals. I have never given it much thought.
- I’m a gambler because you have to be risky in the sport of hockey.
- I don’t have a role model when it comes to men’s attire. I don’t follow fashion and it doesn’t interest me. Most important, the clothes have to be comfortable, balanced and of good quality.
- There is one perfume that my friends and my sister gave me as a present. It was right on the button. But I can’t imagine myself going somewhere to choose a scent. I have never done it in my life yet. So I can’t tell you what brand is my favorite.
- I don’t grow beard. I’m still too young.
- Ideal girlfriend is the one with whom you feel at easy, who’s positive, who’s kind and loyal and she she has her own set of goals and plans for life.
- How does being in a serious relationship affects one’s career? It’s difficult for me to give a definitive answer to the question. I spent most of my life at practices and games. It’s important that my second half understood that sports is my life and that she would support me. Then everything is going to be amazing.
- When I meet girls, I rarely bring up my profession. Only if they see themselves my photos somewhere does the topic come up.
Career and education
- I have never thought about what would I do if it weren’t for hockey in my life.
- I study at Moscow Academy of Physical Culture. Our team is based in Stupino, so I’m either at a practice or on the road. Obviously, I don’t have the time to go to classes as often as I want. I know some of my classmates.
- It’s really important to get a higher education for you future life. Education give a person the necessary volume of information so he would be a good professional. I think, it gives you a great support and helps you to think and act.
- Once upon a time right before New Year’s I woke up in a bad mood. I was 12 years old at the time. I came to school and the boys there were talking about party poppers, fireworks and firecrackers, which they had on them. My friend and I asked them to share at least a few of those so would bang them on our way home from school. The boys gave out firecrackers to almost everyone in the class. Class began and we just sat there waiting for the bell to ring so we would go out and pop everything we had. After third class I was sitting at my desk during recess when three of my laughing classmates barge in. A few minutes later the dean came to our class and we realized what had happened. One of the guys threw a firecracker into the toilet, it popped and water gushed out all the way to the hallway. We were laughing because we were kids and didn’t think about the consequences. But when the dean told us to empty our pockets, it wasn’t funny at all.
Not a lot of people know that I really love going out fishing. I can wake up at 4am for that. I would be great to go fishing, for example, to Astrakhan. Admittedly, though, I can’t swim – I can only fish (laughs).